glycogen depletion, water dropping and diet

• @enggirl
  • Topic Author
More
17 Aug 2017 15:10 #211973 by @enggirl
hello

when going on a depletion diet do you just drop your carbs and lose those calories or do you replace the calories you lost with taking the carbs out with an equivalent caloric value of protein? does the protein have to be low sodium?

when dropping water there are many methods of loading, tapering down and then dropping which methods do you recommend and can you help me with a proper example?

please let me know if you need more info, or where i can get more info.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Furk
  • Expert
  • Expert
More
17 Aug 2017 18:42 #211979 by Furk
Concerning macros (from own experience at least) dropping carbs alone gets rid of a lot of water. I'd always advise eating enough fat for energy, otherwise you're going to use protein for fuel (which feels like crap, zero energy). The exception would be PSMF (Protein sparing modified fast) which shouldn't be used for a long term anyway.

Sodium is trickier, perhaps some of the guys that have competed can give more advice. But timing goes hand in hand with quantities. You can go low sodium and suddenly get good water loss, but your body will adapt and your skin won't be as tight.

For glycogen depletion, methods that work will be:
Low carb, zero carb, fasting, depletion workouts (whole-body high rep, supersets), other wholebody exercise (swimming for eg.)

For what purpose is this? Fat loss, entering ketosis, or competition prep?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Officially sponsored by Protein™ and Caffeine™.

• @enggirl
  • Topic Author
More
17 Aug 2017 20:15 #211981 by @enggirl
Replied by @enggirl on topic glycogen depletion, water dropping and diet
Hi Furk

Competition prep

• Furk
  • Expert
  • Expert
More
18 Aug 2017 11:03 #211991 by Furk
Ah, so you need to work with a timeline. I don't really know all the tips and tricks of peaking for a show. I've talked to competing MMA fighters and bodybuilders and their strategies are pretty intricate. I've only ever done and helped with progressive fat-loss.

I've probably got more questions than I have answers.

If your immediate aim is to deplete and/or enter keto: do one day of fasting, then start eating keto. Or what I've done in the past, three day water fast then start eating keto. I usually go into keto by day two or three. I don't need keto sticks, I judge by my breathe, breathing "sensation", mental clarity and energy. Water fasting is pretty difficult though, mentally.

The following user(s) said Thank You: @enggirl

• Spazzz
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
18 Aug 2017 18:08 #212011 by Spazzz
Replied by Spazzz on topic glycogen depletion, water dropping and diet
Hi Furk

Excuse my ignorance, but do u mean that you only drink water for 3 days then, and no food? When i cut out carbs, it feels like i drop half my body weight and my clothes are very loose within a week

• Furk
  • Expert
  • Expert
More
18 Aug 2017 18:46 #212012 by Furk

Spazzz wrote: Hi Furk

Excuse my ignorance, but do u mean that you only drink water for 3 days then, and no food? When i cut out carbs, it feels like i drop half my body weight and my clothes are very loose within a week

Hey dude,
Yeah that's right. Exceptions are black coffee and some preworkouts. Thing is, more of the time I'm on a LCHF diet than a traditional carb based bodybuilding diet. So for me, being on carbs is the exception.

I don't doubt that most people can loose a lot of water just by dropping carbs. I'm also not saying my way is the best, but it's extremely fast (and effective to enter ketosis).

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

The following user(s) said Thank You: Spazzz, @enggirl