Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Virgin Active and their idiotic "Vision"

Virgin Active and their idiotic "Vision" 13 Aug 2009 11:24 #19846

• jackrabbit1
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 441
Ever asked a VA manager why there isnt enough space or equipment for Bodybuilding?

Aparently they promote a healthy "lifestyle" and that noone is interested in bodybuilding anymore.

What a load of crap. Where are all the people? At the BB area!

Every girl looking at these finess athletes and wanting to look like them will soon realize that the only way is to train like a BB!

So also the school boy wanting some arms or a chest. There is no oter way than the BB route!

When are these Virgin Active corporate fatso's(Have you ever seen admin training?) going to realize they are going into the wrong direction!?!??!?!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Virgin Active and their idiotic 13 Aug 2009 11:39 #19850

• acidkidsa
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24
Bodybuilding equipment takes up space.

Space for bikes, treadmills , stepping machines.

They trying to fit as many people into one space as possible for more money..Thats all

Heard it before.
Never fraternize with them as equals, never accept them as your social equals or they will devour you, they will destroy you.

Virgin Active and their idiotic 13 Aug 2009 11:54 #19853

• 00pump
  • Thank you received: 1553
tell me what other gyms do you feel is going this way? I know that all the planet fitness have ample space for weights, etc...
"Whether You Think You Can or Can't, You're Right"--Henry Ford

Virgin Active and their idiotic 13 Aug 2009 12:01 #19856

• acidkidsa
  • Gold Boarder
I think its just Virgin Active.

I am so sure it has something to do with the Discovery medical aid as well.
Never fraternize with them as equals, never accept them as your social equals or they will devour you, they will destroy you.

Virgin Active and their idiotic 13 Aug 2009 12:03 #19857

• Extreme
  • Fresh Boarder
When they revamped the VA I train at, they were going to take away the 55kg + dumbells because of the same story but somehow the old dumbells remaind :-) ;-)

There is a lot of wear and tear on the BB equipment, it's all about the MONEY!!!

VA are looking for people who pay their monthly subs and never pitch at the gym, us guys are seen as bad customers as we cost them money.

Virgin Active and their idiotic 13 Aug 2009 12:25 #19864

• 00pump
true, because then they can cram more sales and have less people coming so in essence you keep punting membership.

i train at planet fitness platinum now thats a nice gym... in peak time a handful of people i have never waited for a machine in my life... when i signed up they said they will bring out a spare machine if you ever have to wait... lol, not how true that is but that was their sales pitch....

Virgin Active and their idiotic 13 Aug 2009 12:33 #19865

• acidkidsa
  • Gold Boarder
@ Extreme

Sounds like VA Constantia.

They still got their +55 weight there. But the knurl (grip) needs to be redone.

Virgin Active and their idiotic "Vision" 13 Aug 2009 13:04 #19872

• vega5
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 148
The one and only reason I train at VA is because its close to my house. I'm seriously thinking of moving to Planet fitness. Its a much smaller gym but they have a majorly nice BB section with plenty Hammer strength machines and plenty free weights.

Virgin Active and their idiotic 13 Aug 2009 18:22 #19910

• Sting
  • Gold Boarder
  • Women who say that size does not matter are liars!
  • Thank you received: 3
jackrabbit1 wrote:

Every girl looking at these finess athletes and wanting to look like them will soon realize that the only way is to train like a BB!

I agree with this, the only way to train is to train like a BB. I continually watch girls push these pussy weights and I think what is that actually doing, and they're so lazy when they go about it as though they dont want to be in the gym so then why go.

Virgin Active and their idiotic 13 Aug 2009 19:25 #19911

• jackrabbit1
  • Platinum Boarder
So if 90% of VA staff dont train, how the hell do they know what is needed?

They cant even figure how to set the aircon - always freezing in winter and doesnt work in summer.
Play dreadfull music with cd's skipping etc.

They get some expert from Technogym that tells them the latest peck-decks are the shit when in fact they ARE SHITE! Never believe the guys training - what do they know, right????

Virgin Active and their idiotic 13 Aug 2009 20:13 #19912

• jo1
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
Beesting wrote:
jackrabbit1 wrote:

I agree with this, the only way to train is to train like a BB. I continually watch girls push these pussy weights and I think what is that actually doing, and they're so lazy when they go about it as though they dont want to be in the gym so then why go.

i dont train at va, worked there some years ago, but i did not know VIRGIN active have weights these days that looks like a PUSSY... :ohmy: :haha

Virgin Active and their idiotic 14 Aug 2009 00:17 #19927

• Inja
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 116
They don't
Sorry if I offend you
Its just my point of view

Virgin Active and their idiotic 14 Aug 2009 08:16 #19931

• acidkidsa
  • Gold Boarder
They left the heavier weights at certain VA to accommodate BB.

So they not taking all the weights out as I see it. Simply accomodation more for people trying to get fit
and new to the whole Health thing.

I think they are trying to build more compact gyms but at the same time , they try to make use of every mm of floor space.

In JHB , heavy weight are at Constantia and I think maybe Cresta . Seen some guys that do comps train there.

Virgin Active and their idiotic 14 Aug 2009 10:26 #19941

• jackrabbit1
  • Platinum Boarder
The latest addition at ParkView PTA East has PLENTY open floor space. There is even a 2m walkway eather side of a row of stationary bikes!
(Well.... on the main side even more!)
Freakin nice looking gym, but i just cannot see them making money in that HUGE mall?!?
Most people will see the weight section and opt for Menlyn which still has Hammer Strength etc.

Virgin Active and their idiotic 14 Aug 2009 11:01 #19945

• Extreme
  • Fresh Boarder
I prefered the old Zest equipment the new Technogym machines are very fragile. The plastic that covers the weights is already missing on some machines.
And whoever designed that Leg Press machine has never gymed in his/her life or they've never done calfs on the Leg Press machine.
But at least they replaced all the flat loose benches with benches that can either be flat or incline, it was a nightmare before.

I train at the crack of dawn, the sun is still sleeping and every now and then I have to wait for a machine and summer is coming so the next few months will see a few more thousand people joining the gyms.

At 'my' VA there is one staff member that is so fat and every now and then he decides to do the spinning class, after that sight I go for theropy. VA should make all their staff train!!!

Virgin Active and their idiotic 14 Aug 2009 12:00 #19947

• 00pump
like I said sign up at planet fitness platninum, in peak time 5/6 I have never waited for a machine once! there are maybe 5 people taining in the weights section... its by invitation only 'supposdly' and they will only allow 5k members in the gym as apposed to 20k+ in other gyms, its freakin awsome... I train there sometimes and only reason I signed up and payed the huge cash upfront is because at least if I feel like being at a gym its quite...

thanks

Virgin Active and their idiotic 17 Aug 2009 14:37 #20139

• Happyraven
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
yup, cresta still has heavy weights.. bottomline is that VA's are trying to eliminate the bodybuilding!!! Went to train at the Brightwater commons VA and had to walk out, i think the heaviest dumbell is 45 or 50kg's..max! and the dumbells are like this weird plastic crap

Virgin Active and their idiotic 17 Aug 2009 14:42 #20140

• North_Boy1
  • Gold Boarder
Happyraven wrote:
yup, cresta still has heavy weights.. bottomline is that VA's are trying to eliminate the bodybuilding!!! Went to train at the Brightwater commons VA and had to walk out, i think the heaviest dumbell is 45 or 50kg's..max! and the dumbells are like this weird plastic crap

Wonderpark VA Pta still has quite a large BB area and dumbells up to 65kg - not that I will ever need them.
If everybody does it, is it still cheating?

Virgin Active and their idiotic 17 Aug 2009 14:43 #20142

• missiondh
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
I just think VA is crap all round, they are really expensive and as everyone knows the weight section sucks. Body Conscious is the best and they have dumbbells up too 120kg's and they are half the price p.m as VA. Just my 2c. :)
"The best activities for your health are pumping and humping."

Virgin Active and their idiotic 17 Aug 2009 14:49 #20145

• Happyraven
  • Junior Boarder
120kg dumbells...holy smokes, what Gorilla uses those???

Virgin Active and their idiotic 17 Aug 2009 14:49 #20146

• North_Boy1
  • Gold Boarder
missiondh wrote:
I just think VA is crap all round, they are really expensive and as everyone knows the weight section sucks. Body Conscious is the best and they have dumbbells up too 120kg's and they are half the price p.m as VA. Just my 2c. :)

Sure, I agree with everything you say about VA, but like so many guys on this website I am with Discovery Vitality and live very close to the VA thus making it worth it to train there. B)
If everybody does it, is it still cheating?

Virgin Active and their idiotic 17 Aug 2009 15:01 #20151

• jo1
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
there was also something in the states as well bout some fitness chains not even wanting any bbder to train at any of there gyms.

one must open a true harcore bbding franchise here in sa, something like temple, or powerhouse, then no pussy will train there, only hardcore athlethes like us!!! he he.

Virgin Active and their idiotic 17 Aug 2009 15:02 #20152

• missiondh
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
Thats cool, I'm also now on Discovery but unfortunately where I live now there is no VA. Thats why I train at home, cause the gym's here are really expensive.
"The best activities for your health are pumping and humping."

Virgin Active and their idiotic 17 Aug 2009 15:46 #20162

• 00pump
jo1 wrote:
there was also something in the states as well bout some fitness chains not even wanting any bbder to train at any of there gyms.

one must open a true harcore bbding franchise here in sa, something like temple, or powerhouse, then no pussy will train there, only hardcore athlethes like us!!! he he.

Jeah!!! thats what I want.... In the UK I used to train at Muscle Works.... Man....... you wana get size you train there.... no girls allowed not even a foot in the door, my girlfriend was never allowed inside...

I grew in that place... have some russian guys doing lights out back spread at the age of 23.... guys at that gym had size, and just bodybuilding pics over the walls... that gym drove you to grow... hmmmmmmmmmmm, miss it!

Virgin Active and their idiotic "Vision" 17 Aug 2009 15:56 #20163

• BigDave
  • Fresh Boarder
Planet Fitness (in the US) is not geared towards bodybuilders or power lifters. The "Judgement Free Zone" marketing slogan refers to the belief that members should not be judged by others because of their skill level or routines.

Rules

An alarm (referred to as the "lunk alarm") is set off when individuals drop weights or "grunt" when lifting.

The banning of grunting, swearing and psyching-up rituals.

No cell phone use on the gym floor.

The banning of excessive noise from bar drops etc. e.g. Olympic lifts.

The restriction of dumbbell weights to a maximum of 80 pounds

The banning of chalk, often used for heavy lifts such as deadlifts.

No jeans, bandannas, do rags or skullcaps.

Must wipe down equipment after each use.

No gawking at women and making them feel uncomfortable or trying to pick them up.

Short or revealing attire for men or women is banned.

References to sexual orientation or any other offensive conversation is prohibited.

No lewd acts or public affection on the premises.
  • Page: