No need to be a "DICK"

• Robbie
  • Topic Author
More
01 Aug 2017 08:43 #211432 by Robbie
No need to be a "DICK" was created by Robbie
Just some food for thought-

In my opinion it was a sad day for the training community last night. I was at the chest section doing my thing by myself and observed a skinny kid walking aroung the gym looking at all the equipment clearly without a clue where to start or what to do.

I saw him suck up all his courage and approached a trio of fairly built guys doing curls at an old lady pace and talking more shit than training. The kid asked them very politely if they could give him some advise on a exersize or two, but the only advise he got was ridicule and mockery over his sshort stature and skinny build. One of them told him the only way he would grow was to eat his dick. The kid took their abuse, but I think he was just frozen in his tracks.

Well, he turned around with his head down, towel in hand heading towards the exit and I could not help myself and intercepted him and told him they were dicks and and are too in love with the mirrors to help him anyway. I told him to stick around and I let him do a few light weight sets with me and showed him the importance of form and posture and the idea behind mind muscle connection. I'll teach the kid what I know "If" he comes back today, sticks around and commits.

Now, I've been at 95kg with fairly little fat, but currently I'm only a 80kg man with hard work ahead of me. The trio of fucktards aimed their ridicule towards me aswell at that time as I now helped their victim, but I approached them and asked them if they were training their mouths or their muscles. Obviously ego's were flaired up, but quickly died down again. I might be a lot smaller at the moment, but I've been around the block a few times and can handle myself just fine.

When I started out training I was 22 years old, 1.8m tall and weighed 60kg so basically I had the build of a broomstick. I was fortunate enough to be guided and schooled by the "real big guys" and I developed a real love for training and growing. They had nothing to gain from giving me the tools of the trade, but I have the utmost respect for those four gentlemen to this day and I'll always remember the the mantra they had, "As you think, so you become" and "JUST ONE MORE"

My point?,
If your need an ego boost, theres no need to be a dick to someone starting out and wating to travel the road you're on. Your memory will be short lived and soon forgotten and all that will remain is a reminder of what not to become.
The following user(s) said Thank You: admin, Muscleaddict, 00pump, missiondh, Cyclo, FIllet, Witwolf, mack, Twinkell, Rooi Bul 86 and 6 other people also said thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• GrootD
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
01 Aug 2017 10:23 - 01 Aug 2017 10:26 #211436 by GrootD
Replied by GrootD on topic No need to be a "DICK"
Wow! That is almost unreal!

Really, they should be taking it as a compliment, because that is what it is. When someone asks you for advice, it means that they regard you as knowledgeable, someone that seems to know what he/ she is doing.

I always take the time and try to assist. Someone did it for me years back, and now I can just repeat the favor. No one knows all the exercises and correct form, from birth. All of us had to learn somewhere.

Be Humble, Be Hungry, Be the Hardest worker in the room!
Last edit: 01 Aug 2017 10:26 by GrootD. Reason: Spelling - Not all of us are perfect in English :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robbie

• admin
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
01 Aug 2017 10:39 #211437 by admin
Replied by admin on topic No need to be a "DICK"
Good for you Robbie, you stood up for the kid and helped him out with advice. Have some karma.

Too bad that you don't have photos of those three dicks so that we can shame them on here and give them a taste of their own medicine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OPTRON, mack, Rooi Bul 86, Robbie

• 00pump
More
01 Aug 2017 11:57 #211440 by 00pump
Replied by 00pump on topic No need to be a "DICK"
It's actually very disappointing, people's egos, people's god like complex. When I started training people where so eager to hop in and help. People would race over if they noticed you struggling with pushing out the last couple reps, people would help advise if they notice you dropping an arm before another when doing bench. People wanted to share advice, you could ask anyone in the gym to help you get a weight up. Now it's just retards, I keep my head phones in and don't greet a living soul as everyone is bad mouthing others, it's become very sad. I can't imagine how depressed tat oke must have felt after his encounter.

"Whether You Think You Can or Can't, You're Right"--Henry Ford
The following user(s) said Thank You: mack, Robbie

• PumpSeeker
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
01 Aug 2017 13:46 #211446 by PumpSeeker
Replied by PumpSeeker on topic No need to be a "DICK"
I suppose that's just a negative from the gym becoming so popular to society over the last decade. It not only attracts like-minded people seeking self improvement, but also retards looking to flaunt their ego.

• mack
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
01 Aug 2017 13:54 #211447 by mack
Replied by mack on topic No need to be a "DICK"

Robbie wrote: Just some food for thought-

In my opinion it was a sad day for the training community last night. I was at the chest section doing my thing by myself and observed a skinny kid walking aroung the gym looking at all the equipment clearly without a clue where to start or what to do.

I saw him suck up all his courage and approached a trio of fairly built guys doing curls at an old lady pace and talking more shit than training. The kid asked them very politely if they could give him some advise on a exersize or two, but the only advise he got was ridicule and mockery over his sshort stature and skinny build. One of them told him the only way he would grow was to eat his dick. The kid took their abuse, but I think he was just frozen in his tracks.

Well, he turned around with his head down, towel in hand heading towards the exit and I could not help myself and intercepted him and told him they were dicks and and are too in love with the mirrors to help him anyway. I told him to stick around and I let him do a few light weight sets with me and showed him the importance of form and posture and the idea behind mind muscle connection. I'll teach the kid what I know "If" he comes back today, sticks around and commits.

Now, I've been at 95kg with fairly little fat, but currently I'm only a 80kg man with hard work ahead of me. The trio of fucktards aimed their ridicule towards me aswell at that time as I now helped their victim, but I approached them and asked them if they were training their mouths or their muscles. Obviously ego's were flaired up, but quickly died down again. I might be a lot smaller at the moment, but I've been around the block a few times and can handle myself just fine.

When I started out training I was 22 years old, 1.8m tall and weighed 60kg so basically I had the build of a broomstick. I was fortunate enough to be guided and schooled by the "real big guys" and I developed a real love for training and growing. They had nothing to gain from giving me the tools of the trade, but I have the utmost respect for those four gentlemen to this day and I'll always remember the the mantra they had, "As you think, so you become" and "JUST ONE MORE"

My point?,
If your need an ego boost, theres no need to be a dick to someone starting out and wating to travel the road you're on. Your memory will be short lived and soon forgotten and all that will remain is a reminder of what not to become.

+1 I'll never forget the man who made the time to take me into a real gym, for the first time, when I was 15, & patiently go through a workout with me. Pass it on

"Oscar Mike, Oscar Alpha One, confirm your name begins with Charlie"

• Hoosain
  • Expert
  • Expert
More
01 Aug 2017 15:03 #211448 by Hoosain
Replied by Hoosain on topic No need to be a "DICK"
After all the help I received when I was younger I would only be too happy to help out someone else.
I remember being 57kg heavy LOL. All I knew was bench press, arm curls and shoulder press on the balcony of my parents home. Joined the gym and I was fortunate enough to be helped by someone like Robbie who could clearly see how confused I look with all this equipment for 3 exercises.

Sad that people behave the way they do.
+1 Robbie

• Furk
  • Expert
  • Expert
More
01 Aug 2017 15:12 #211451 by Furk
Replied by Furk on topic No need to be a "DICK"
Wow. Can't even imagine someone would straight up tune that dude badly like that. The world is overflowing with assholes.

Props for looking out for the new guy Robbie.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Officially sponsored by Proteinâ„¢ and Caffeineâ„¢.

• FIllet
  • Expert
  • Expert
More
01 Aug 2017 18:02 #211455 by FIllet
Replied by FIllet on topic No need to be a "DICK"
It will only make him bigger, stronger, faster when he gets older and gives less of a shit. Like I was saying to my man Cyclo the other day, "he's a big man with a big heart". Many still give a fuck, I know some golden big boys and the dick fucks I avoid. The other side of the story is you live what you learn so here is hoping he doesn't " live what he learnt scenario" because that ego shit doesn't end in the gym. Be humble, you not god almighty if you big, always someone bigger and better. Thanks for sharing, many a wanker in the world, not only the gym...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cyclo, Rooi Bul 86, Hoosain

• Bulrider76
More
02 Aug 2017 11:54 #211483 by Bulrider76
Replied by Bulrider76 on topic No need to be a "DICK"
Was working out at the four ways gym 3 weeks back as I had a meeting late evening and needed to kill some time. Just got through 3 sets in total as each machine had a slouch hanging around it TALKING on their bloody phone! To preoccupied to make room for anyone else and too rude to care. Not a great experience. I can imagine that in this era anyone's is not likely to get any assistance never mind real help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.'

Homer Simpson

• Cyclo
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
02 Aug 2017 18:13 #211508 by Cyclo
Replied by Cyclo on topic No need to be a "DICK"
Geez, thanks Fillet.

Well played Robbie. Yeah unfortunately bullies thrive on victimising what they perceive being weaker targets. I'm almost keen to point some lightweight powerlifters to them and that'll shut them up quickly.
I would make a point of telling all the gorillas what they did and they'll quickly get ridiculed out of the place.

Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

• Donado1
More
03 Aug 2017 18:17 #211536 by Donado1
Replied by Donado1 on topic No need to be a "DICK"
Jeez you get character's like that, I'm similar to you also started with tall skinny ectomorph look when I was around 20 years old. I remember the first week I was in the gym I was bench pressing some weight (not a lot) and didnt have someone spotting me. I could not get the weight back on the bench and asked some guys for help, they did help but not before they all laughed and made fun of me. It's a kak feeling I can tell you. Anyway I got guidance from more experienced guys after that and put on about 25kg of muscle over the last 10 years (Natty by the way, I'm venturing into steroids now in my thirties). Ag we all have to start somewhere, I hope that young man does not get discouraged

• Jono77
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
04 Aug 2017 11:17 #211547 by Jono77
Replied by Jono77 on topic No need to be a "DICK"
We all need help sometimes even if we've been in the gym for years..last year I couldn't get the leg press back up with 530kg on (I've done it before but had a bad day) and luckily two other guys came running to take the plates off so I could push it back up. Were all there to improve ourselves and push our own limits. I really hope the young guy is okay, did he come back Robbie?

• Bruce-Lee
More
04 Aug 2017 11:45 #211550 by Bruce-Lee
Replied by Bruce-Lee on topic No need to be a "DICK"
Good going!

I will always give advise when someone ask.

But it is unfortunately a different story when I see someone with horrible form.

Like this lady this morning I saw her doing leg presses. her knees was con caving in and she had no idea what she was doing wrong. I wanted to tell her what she was doing wrong but her shitty attitude stopped me

Is commercial gym trainers *never* allowed to help them? Because I haven't seen it
sorry for my rant

• Robbie
  • Topic Author
More
04 Aug 2017 11:52 - 04 Aug 2017 11:53 #211551 by Robbie
Replied by Robbie on topic No need to be a "DICK"

Jono77 wrote: We all need help sometimes even if we've been in the gym for years..last year I couldn't get the leg press back up with 530kg on (I've done it before but had a bad day) and luckily two other guys came running to take the plates off so I could push it back up. Were all there to improve ourselves and push our own limits. I really hope the young guy is okay, did he come back Robbie?

No Mate, unfortunately I havent seen him again, but its bugging the shit out of me for some reason. My wife is also keeping a lookout. She said he can train with her aswell if he wanted to. Might be a good idea "if he he comes back"
Last edit: 04 Aug 2017 11:53 by Robbie.