Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: sleep aid

sleep aid 12 Feb 2021 10:32 #224633

• Oom G
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 48
hey guys

i have been through tons of threads on here regarding sleep and found plenty useful info
however i still want to ask the following as it is not for myself and would rather get some advice

my girlfriend as a bad sleeping pattern, she is able to fall asleep but then struggles to stay asleep, and often when she wakes up she will be awake for a long period before she is able to get some rest again before the morning.

she has tried CBD as well as THC products, and they both help to kinda knock her out but not to repair the sleep pattern.

she struggles with an anxiety disorder which definitely affects sleep sometimes as well ( this may be the underlying cause for the sleep issues in general actually )
we have made great progress in minimizing the anxiety though with a good healthy lifestyle

however due to the anxiety i wouldn't like to just giver her anything which may have an adverse effect

any input or recommendations would be greatly appreciated ( I'm currently using MK and feel guilty for sleeping so well next to her reach night lol )
The administrator has disabled public write access.

sleep aid 12 Feb 2021 11:04 #224634

• Wreklaw
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Oom G wrote:
hey guys

i have been through tons of threads on here regarding sleep and found plenty useful info
however i still want to ask the following as it is not for myself and would rather get some advice

my girlfriend as a bad sleeping pattern, she is able to fall asleep but then struggles to stay asleep, and often when she wakes up she will be awake for a long period before she is able to get some rest again before the morning.

she has tried CBD as well as THC products, and they both help to kinda knock her out but not to repair the sleep pattern.

she struggles with an anxiety disorder which definitely affects sleep sometimes as well ( this may be the underlying cause for the sleep issues in general actually )
we have made great progress in minimizing the anxiety though with a good healthy lifestyle

however due to the anxiety i wouldn't like to just giver her anything which may have an adverse effect

any input or recommendations would be greatly appreciated ( I'm currently using MK and feel guilty for sleeping so well next to her reach night lol )

Have you tried the basics like Magnesium?
Magnesium deficiency can eventually lead to insomnia.
There's a study here:

Magnesium Supplementation on Subjective Anxiety and Stress-A Systematic Review
pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28445426/

I had very similar issues to what you describe her as having and even though this might sound funny, a sleep therapist told me to try sleep with the sounds of rain. So I use a Bluetooth speaker and an app that simulates rain very softly at night with magnesium, Zinc, and Gabba cocktail that gets the job done, but in her case, it might be more severe disorders if you will. Tackling the root of the cause is probably more beneficial than trying to suppress it with a drug, so to say, but I don't know what you guys have tried and what you have not.

If she falls asleep easily try using something that keeps her down there, and the sound of rain will actually promote the release of melatonin. You can of course try supplement with that too in the cocktail.

In addition to all this, she should avoid being on her phone or having bright light in her eyes a few hours before bed. If there's anything else stress-related that you might not be aware of going on then none of this will work.

Sleep time needs to become a habit for many people.

No TV, no phones before.
Turn lights down or use bed lamps.
Try use very small amounts of lavendar on pillows.
Take a hot relaxing bath before.
Lower bedroom temperatures to 21/22 degrees.
And then everything I mentioned up top.

It needs to be a process of unwinding before actually getting into bed.

Hope some of this helps. Best of luck.
Last Edit: 12 Feb 2021 11:08 by Wreklaw.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Oom G, Oupa

sleep aid 12 Feb 2021 16:41 #224637

• 00pump
  • Thank you received: 2490
Does she suffer with sleep apnea? The reason I ask is that she isn't having an issue falling asleep, so something is waking her up. If she is having apnea episodes during the night is places allot of strain on the heart and even causes PVCs which if you have anxiety can cause you to wakeup not just from the apnea but from arrhythmia.

What medication does she take for anxiety, because if it's a benzo it could be wearing off and the anxious mind / racing mind wakes her up..

I can personally vouch for mindfulness, from where I was to where I am is as far as the north is from the south. I struggle to master it, so I use the Calm app and pay for a subscription, I use it during the day and before I go to sleep, 98% percent of the time I am asleep before she finishes and she speaks for 10 minutes by following her instructions. And I take no benzo medication anymore and I was on 2mg xanor 3 times a day, plus sleeping aids, plus antipsychotics and antidepressants.. No the mindfulness never fixed all that, but just giving you an example of taking control and knowing medication does not fix a thing, it's a pure bandaid.

Good luck
"Whether You Think You Can or Can't, You're Right"--Henry Ford
Last Edit: 12 Feb 2021 16:41 by 00pump.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Oom G, Oupa

sleep aid 12 Feb 2021 23:48 #224639

• RegT
  • Fresh Boarder
If she is having apnea episodes during the night is places allot of strain on the heart and even causes PVCs which if you have anxiety can cause you to wakeup not just from the apnea but from arrhythmia.
Interesting!

Benzo's wear off and assists with falling asleep not staying asleep. Journaling could help and alleviate the anxiety. You need time and the end of the day to self reflect and identify what is causing the anxiety. My psychiatrist said anxiety is triggered by living in the future. I needed to live in the now/today.

Here is a good read:
If you are sane, you need to read this
The following user(s) said Thank You: 00pump, Oom G

sleep aid 13 Feb 2021 00:15 #224640

• RegT
  • Fresh Boarder
If she is having apnea episodes during the night is places allot of strain on the heart and even causes PVCs which if you have anxiety can cause you to wakeup not just from the apnea but from arrhythmia.
Interesting!

Benzo's wear off and assists with falling asleep not staying asleep. Journaling could help and alleviate the anxiety. You need time and the end of the day to self reflect and identify what is causing the anxiety. My psychiatrist said anxiety is triggered by living in the future. I needed to live in the now/today.

Here is a good read:
If you are sane, you need to read this

sleep aid 16 Feb 2021 13:57 #224679

• Oom G
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 48
thanks for the replies all.
when i met her she was on meds, not exactly sure what, but it made her dull and completely killed her personality

i personally hate pharmaceuticals as much as possible so i set off on a mission to help get her off them.

i got her into fitness and eating better, she has since lost a lot of weight and is feeling much better about her self
the anxiety attacks are also much less frequent

she doesn't seem to have any apnea or arrhythmia issues that we are aware of, she will just wake up and then battle to fall asleep again

as mentioned she uses THC products most nights, i make my own infused butter or coconut oil which takes and can often help her a lot, however i want to try get to the bottom of the issue and not just KO her each night with something.

we have started using a calming app/rain sounds as suggested and will get into a routine of doing this every night, as well as staying away from sitting on social media before bed

will defs read into the supplements mentioned

any specific gabba and melatonin products you would recommend?

sleep aid 16 Feb 2021 14:20 #224680

• MPhilosopher
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
Oom G wrote:
thanks for the replies all.
when i met her she was on meds, not exactly sure what, but it made her dull and completely killed her personality

i personally hate pharmaceuticals as much as possible so i set off on a mission to help get her off them.

i got her into fitness and eating better, she has since lost a lot of weight and is feeling much better about her self
the anxiety attacks are also much less frequent

she doesn't seem to have any apnea or arrhythmia issues that we are aware of, she will just wake up and then battle to fall asleep again

as mentioned she uses THC products most nights, i make my own infused butter or coconut oil which takes and can often help her a lot, however i want to try get to the bottom of the issue and not just KO her each night with something.

we have started using a calming app/rain sounds as suggested and will get into a routine of doing this every night, as well as staying away from sitting on social media before bed

will defs read into the supplements mentioned

any specific gabba and melatonin products you would recommend?

I would suggest an easy (and cheap) starting point would be Gaba (500mg afternoon, maybe another dose later) and some 5-HTP, at least 100mg.

5-HTP could go either way - it could be like a miracle or make everything a bit worse.
It is worth the risk imo and it will subside pretty quickly if it doesn't help her.
Last Edit: 16 Feb 2021 14:22 by MPhilosopher.